The Sphinx Organization, PARMA Recordings, cellist Thomas Mesa, and pianist Michelle Cann present a call for scores open exclusively to Black and Latinx composers. Teaming up for the first time, these organizations and individuals aim to amplify the voices of musicians from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in classical music by providing a fully funded recording opportunity and album release made possible through the support of a Sphinx Organization MPower Artist Grant and by PARMA Recordings. No cost to apply, no fee if selected.
Solo cello or cello/piano scores selected and approved will be recorded with cellist Thomas Mesa and pianist Michelle Cann and produced by PARMA’s GRAMMY-winning team for release on an album on the company’s Navona Records imprint. Learn more about the Sphinx MPower grant
Selected composers will receive the following:
● Studio recording produced at no cost to the composer
● Full ownership of the resulting master recording
● Commercial release of the recording on an album with worldwide digital distribution
● All post-production, design of all album visual elements, and promotional support at no cost to the
● A majority share of received royalties from resulting streams and sales
● Invitation to attend the recording of their piece either virtually or in person
● $250 honorarium
The Call for Scores is open to Black and Latinx composers of any nationality, state, or country of residence. Works should ideally be between 5 and 15 minutes in length, but pieces outside of that range will still be considered.
There is no fee to submit, nor any fee if selected.
Upload PDF scores and audio files via our Project Submission form. For questions about this opportunity, please email: [email protected].